Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Another 10-Minute Main, and a Call for Blueberry Recipes

I'm hungry.

I have been interning this summer, and, as many of you know, intern is code for "pee-on" or, in some cases, "slave." Thus, I have been saving my pennies by packing lunch and saving time by putting together my lunches on Sunday (and minimizing the work I have to do while half-away in the morning).

However, instead of making lunches this past Sunday, I read Harry Potter Book 7. I managed to scrape by with leftover asparagus-mushroom risotto yesterday, but today I was totally skunked. And now I'm hungry and having an extended case of the Mondays and really NOT wanting to either spend money or go outside to get food. And I don't know what I want. Harumph!

In any case, last night I made another of my favorite 10-minute mains. This one is actually semi-healthy and dairy (as 99% of my meals are). Maybe if I just cut cheese out of my diet...

Nah.

On another note, does anyone out there have a good blueberry-peach recipe besides cobbler? I'm a little desperate to get rid of a bunch of blueberries and peaches and need some ideas. Please send help!

Open-Faced Egg and Tomato Toasts

2 slices sourdough bread (large boule)
1 tbsn olive oil
1/2 tsp salt-free garlic and herb seasoning
fresh sea salt and fresh ground pepper
2 eggs
1 tbsn reduced fat fresh chevre (TJ's is kosher)
1 medium tomato, cored and thinly sliced.

1. Preheat the broiler to high with the oven rack in the highest position. As the oven heats up, line a baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with cooking spray. Lay bread slices on top.
2. In a small cup, combine oil and herb mix. Brush both sides of bread with oil mix, seasoning the top side with salt and pepper. Place under broiler for 2-4 minutes to brown the top side (vent the oven and watch closely to avoid burning!!), then turn the bread over to brown the other side LIGHTLY (~2 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, in a non-stick or pre-seasoned cast iron pan, fry the eggs over med-high heat to your desired level of doneness (I like mine over easy).
4. Remove baking sheet from oven. Spread less-browned (face-up) side of toast with chevre and top with tomatoes. Place back under broiler for about ~1 minute (to warm through tomatoes and slightly melt cheese). Again, watch carefully to avoid burning, esp. around edges.
5. Remove from broiler and transfer to plate. Top with eggs and sprinkle lightly with a little more salt and pepper. Enjoy while hot.

Note: would also be good with a sprinkling of chopped chives or green onions as a garnish.

Tonight I am also going to explore some adventures in making yogurt cheese. Wish me luck!!

No comments: