Wednesday, July 11, 2007

To Carb or Not to Carb (that is the question)

I am feeling...big. Not terribly big, but big enough that I am not looking forward to going to my good friend's wedding and getting up in front of a church full of people to sing. Come to think if it, now that I'm Jewish, I should also be concerned about lightning striking me down as I stand in front of an altar. Hmm.


Anyway, I am feeling big, and so the question is: what to eat?

My weakness is definitely carbs. If it involves pastry, potatoes, or pasta, I am smitten - in fact, to quote Mike Myers, I am in deep smit. And this, reluctantly, I am trying to cut the refined carbs out of my life.

I successfully tried Atkins a couple of years ago (pre-Conversion), but I just don't think a full low-carb diet is either possible or healthful at this point my life. However, the cutting out of pasta, bread, chips, cookies, pies, etc. has gone well so far - I definitely feel better about myself when I'm eating lots of fruits and veggies, which is what replaces the carbs in my diet. On the other hand, I'm going to feel guilty about eating a ton of blueberry pancakes when I go over to my friend Rachel's on Thursday.

In any case, I'm very excited about feeling better and eating more veggies, and if that translates into better weight management, that would be ideal.

In the meantime, my lunch:

1 ripe peach (yum!!)

1 cup baby carrots with Sabra roasted garlic hummus (double yum!!)

1 kosher chicken breast, sauteed in olive oil, salt and pepper (made ahead of time), cut into 1/2" wide strips
2 cups salad greens (washed and bagged - I like baby arugula)
1/2 an avocado in 1/2" dice
1 tbsn finely chopped sweet onion
1/2 medium tomato, coarsely chopped.

Mix the ingredients together; top with dressing below. :0)


Kosher Balsamic Vinaigrette
1/2 cup kosher balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsn maple syrup
1/2 tsp. salt-free garlic and herb seasoning (or can use fresh thyme, basil, oregano, and minced garlic)
Put the ingredients in a shaker and shake 'em all about. Can keep up to 2 weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.

No comments: